Research, Development & Innovation
Our experience throughout the years has shown us that there is not a single proven formula for success, especially when it comes to creating innovative solutions. Most of the existing organizations in the ICT industry are better at executing, than creating solutions, and most of them have succeeded mainly by optimizing their existing business, than by creating and offering game-changing services.
Organizations that wish to set up, organize, and foster innovation and creativity internally, need to put in place a variety of different applications and processes. Encouraging innovation, investing in new ideas, discovering new areas, launching new products or services, and adapting and scaling up quickly to new offerings, are the keys to creativity.
Our approach to innovation
At Uni Systems, we distinctly believe in the transforming power of innovation and creativity. We strive to foster and create a business and working environment that promotes innovation and new ideas, as a key ticket to the future. We encourage new ideas internally, we collaborate closely with our partner ecosystem to get business and technology insights, and we constantly experiment with various forefront technologies.
A core challenge that any contemporary organization faces is how it prepares for the future and invents its new business model while remaining still relevant for the needs of its current business model and letting go of business practices that belong to the past – in other words, how it engages with innovation.
To address this challenge, the RDI Department at Uni Systems has been created as a horizontal entity across the whole organization, to act as the driving force of Research, Development and Innovation activities for Uni Systems. Its mission focuses on:
- De-risking and incubating innovation ideas
- Building an open innovation structure and innovation ecosystem
- Bridging innovation to market via collaboration among industry, government, labs, and academia
- Building a ‘fail-friendly’, agile environment.
We achieve this through integrating cutting-edge technologies into a wide range of industries where we bring substantial expertise: Banking & Finance, Culture & Education, Energy, Health, the Public Sector and Government, Retail, Smart Cities, and Telecom.
Being a customer-driven organization, we are in a unique position to accelerate the use of emerging technologies, digital tools, and data and to speed delivery of transforming services that can help our clients respond to rapid changes and challenges, to reach new and existing customers, and to build tomorrow’s competitive advantage.
During our innovation journey, we fully embrace an open innovation ecosystem approach that enables us to collaborate with a wide network of external entities.
This means we are engaging in partnerships with anyone who is equally committed to delivering a better customer experience across all markets we operate in.
Universities, research centers, start-ups, SMEs and other large companies, clusters, digital innovation hubs and associations, governmental and non-profit organizations, are all active enablers of our innovation initiatives and vital participants in our innovative projects.
Our ecosystem of partners consists of more than 2000 partners across 52 countries, including approx. 400 universities and research centers across Europe.
The RDI Department, as a vital enabler of sustainable growth for Uni Systems, implements various value-added activities, including the preparation and submission of innovation funding applications to both EU and national funding schemes (e.g. Horizon Europe, GSRI’s Research-Create-Innovate, Next Generation EU investments, etc.), coordinating applications for R&D tax incentives, and implementing projects that have been awarded funding. Here are some key facts to date:
To achieve its mission, the RDI Department consists of two units: Innovation Funding & Ecosystem Development (IFED) and Innovation Management, Incubation & Realization (IMIR).
IFED aims to manage the full life cycle of research proposals for European and nationally funded research and innovation projects.
IMIR aims to create and explore innovation opportunities for Uni Systems and to manage the delivery of funded innovation projects.
- Cooperating with a broad innovation ecosystem to facilitate concept drafting for investment and innovation funding activities
- Identifying Domain & Tech experts with expertise in areas of interest
- Developing collaboration opportunities with top Academic & Research Centers
- Coordinating concept drafting & development for RDI activities relating to strategic playgrounds of Uni Systems, in collaboration with relevant departments
- Monitoring EU & national funding sources and reports on relevant funding opportunities and their pre-requisites/specifications
- Identifying, coordinating, communicating and negotiating with existing and potential consortium partners for proposal submissions
- Leading or engaging in consortium building and submission processes
- Contributing in proposal writing and/or reviewing
- Following-up on deadlines and prioritizing proposals submission
- Keeps track of proposal evaluation processes, results and feedback
- Monitoring technology trends and development of innovative products & services from partners in its innovation ecosystem
- Facilitating knowledge transfer between the RDI and its broader innovation ecosystem
- Liaising with academic and other partners in order to co-design joint initiatives (e.g. internships, undergraduate or postgraduate projects, upskilling/reskilling courses) with the aim of attracting top talent to Uni Systems
- Investigating and incubating innovation opportunities at pre-commercial & commercial stages
- Monitoring specific strategic playgrounds (domains) and technology areas
- Managing Innovation Managers responsible for monitoring trends directly relating to specific domains of priority
- Identifying, investing and incubating new ventures (e.g. OpteChain, Probotek), etc.)
- Designing & monitoring the innovation management process
- Identifying and incubating innovation opportunities in connection with the innovation ecosystem in response to trends, specific opportunities and business requests
- Administering the Innovation Management Platform, i.e. BrightIdea, and coordinating training activities relating to the platform for Innovation Leaders & Innovation Managers
- Collaborating with Innovation Managers to set up innovation challenges on the platform
- Coordinating the delivery of funded R&D projects
- Managing the business and technical aspects of internal innovation projects (e.g. Snap4City), pilots, proof of concepts
- Engaging & managing multiple internal & external teams/resources
- Coordinating participation to innovation clusters, competence centers and other collaborative schemes
iQnovus, Quest Group Innovation Center
Transform future into now
Powered by open data and ecosystems
Pleiades IoT Innovation Cluster
Innovation in action
Self-adjusting and integrated metropolitan and access network (ARMONIA)
Uni Systems participates in an EU-driven Project for the study and development of Bioresorbable 3D-printed scaffolds for personalised treatment of periodontitis. The project is implemented within the framework of the RESEARCH – CREATE – INNOVATE Action and is co-financed by the European Union and national resources through the EP. Competitiveness, Entrepreneurship & Innovation (EPANEK) (project code: T2EDK-01641)
Digital Society & eGov
GLASS - Single Sign-on e-Governance Paradigm Based on a Distributed File Exchange Network for Security, Transparency, Cost Effectiveness and Trust
SPIDER - A Cybersecurity Platform for Virtualized 5G Cyber Range Services.
Big Data & Cloud Computing
DATAVAULTS - Persistent Personal Data Vaults Empowering a Secure and Privacy Preserving Data Storage, Analysis, Sharing and Monetisation Platform
ALAMEDA - Bridging the Early Diagnosis and Treatment Gap of Brain Diseases via Smart, Connected, Proactive and Evidence-Based Technological Interventions